Yahtzee With Buddies/Dice With Ellen/Dice With Buddies
Dice With Buddies is a mobile remake of the board game Yahtzee, it was released on Android and iOS by Scopely on May 6, 2011. A reskin of the game called Dice With Ellen was released on March 1, 2017. And a another reskin called Yahtzee With Buddies was released on November 1, 2017.
The game plays exactly like Yahtzee, you roll the dice and check your dice for a certain pair like Full House, Small Straight, Large Straight, the rarest one is Yahtzee. You have to get more points than the opponent to win the game.
Why They Suck
- All 3 games are reskins of each other, they play exactly the same, have the same layout. All they did was change the hosts of both games, changed the color of the layout, and replaced 5X with Yahtzee.
- Extremely overpriced micro-transactions, for example you have to pay $2.99 just for 9 Bonus Rolls and over $100 for 380 Bonus Rolls. The same goes for the coins in which $2.99 gives you only 250 scoop coins and $100 for only 10,000 scoop coins. And since all of these micro-transaction amounts are the exact same amount, you are basically spending money on the same exact game but on a different version of it.
- The same goes for the Super Lucky Wheel in which 1 spin is $1, and 5 spins is $5.
- Opening the piggy bank requires you to spend $3.
- All 3 apps are very poorly optimized, they end up lagging too much and will crash on you at a certain point.
- No music at all, making the game mostly silent. And the sounds only occur during gameplay and in menus.
- Overall these games are basically a cashgrab in Yahtzee's name and Ellen's name.
- Lots of stolen characters from multiple franchises, such as Fred Flintstone, multiple Disney Characters, and more. All they did was change the name a bit just to avoid copyright issues.
- You have to have internet connection while playing this game. Despite the game looking and playing like a single player game with bots.
Dice With Ellen
- Terrible character models especially Ellen who barely looks like her.
- Nothing about the game has been changed, expect for Ellen being the host of the game, and the logo being changed.
Yahtzee With Buddies
- Like Dice With Ellen, the host has been changed to a dog, the color changed from Blue to Red, 5X changed to Yahtzee, and even saves your progress from the other 2 games.
- The only sound that was added in this game, was the dog barking when you get Yahtzee.
- The icon is just a redone icon from Dice with Buddies, just with the color changed to red, and Dice With Buddies changed to Yahtzee.
- Decent graphics for Dice With Buddies during the time in 2011.
- Dice with Buddies was a great game back in 2011 - 2013, before all the micro-transactions and issues occurred with the game.
- The idea of turning a Yahtzee into a mobile game is a decent idea, too bad it wasn't executed well.
All 3 games are mostly negatively received due to it's terrible updates, overpriced micro-transactions, and terrible character models.