This wiki has been closed following a Request for Comments. Please see this page for more information.

The Game Awards 2020

From Crappy Games Wiki
Jump to navigation Jump to search
The awards ceremony that proves not even the Game Awards is safe from corruption.

The Game Awards 2020 is the seventh annual awards ceremony from the Game awards hosted by Geoff Keighley on December 10, 2020. This is the first Game Awards ceremony not filmed with a live audience due to the COVID-19 pandemic.

Background

The nominees were announced on November 18, 2020, with the infamous The Last of Us Part II receiving a staggering eleven nominations, the most nominations of any game in the Game Awards' history. Because of this, concerns about the Game Awards being rigged started to pop up considering the controversy surrounding the game, and how many fans and gamers hate the game. Another concern is the fact that game journalists, many of whom are known for acts of corruption, had 90% of the control as to which game receives the award, while users only had the remaining 10%.

Unsurprisingly, The Last of Us Part II swept the awards, winning seven awards including Game of the Year, breaking the record for most awards won at the Game Awards in addition to breaking the record for the most nominations. Despite this, it thankfully lost to Ghost of Tsushima for the Player's Voice award, an award that consists entirely of votes from gamers, even after Naughty Dog president Neil Druckmann begged his supporters on Twitter to vote for their game.

Reactions

The ceremony was panned by many gamers, with it being agreed upon that The Last of Us Part II shouldn't have won that many awards, if any at all, especially the award for "Game of the Year". There are even some people who, despite admitting that they liked the game, also agreed that the game shouldn't have won it.

Many believe that Ghost of Tsushima should've won the award for Game of the Year instead of The Last of Us Part II, with the fact that Ghost of Tsushima having won the award for "Player's Voice" goes to prove this agreement. There are even some who stated that the Player's Voice award was the only one that mattered.

Another factor that unpetted many was the fact that DOOM Eternal didn't win a single award, not even the award for Best Audio Design despite the game's soundtrack being highly praised. There's also belief that Hades should've won Best Direction, since Naughty Dog is akin to crunch while Supergiant Games encouraged forced vacations because the developers were working so hard. They did the same with Pyre, Transistor, and Bastion.

Videos

Comments

Loading comments...