Spider-Man 2 (DS)
Spider-Man 2 is an action-adventure video game that is based on the movie of the same name. They are follow-ups of the game Spider-Man, and the series is followed by Spider-Man 3. Spider-Man 2 was published by Activision for many different systems in 2004. Upon release, the game received positive reviews and is considered one of the best Activision-published Spider-Man games ever by fans. However, the praise was for the home console versions, the DS version was rushed, this page will cover.
Why It Can't do Whatever A Spider Can
- Spider-Man moves around too slowly. For instance, even running around is too slow.
- A lot of the in-game missions are timed. Combine that with point one and you have a very frustrating game.
- Furthermore, some missions timers are too strict.
- There are collectibles during missions to increase replay value, but due to point 2, it defeats the purpose of the game.
- The control scheme is too cumbersome for a beat-em-up style game. For a beat-em-up game, that's unacceptable.
- You have to use the Spidey-Sense during combat, which leaves you an easy target to foes when you try using it.
- Furthermore, you cannot use Spidey-Sense while getting attacked.
- It was seemingly rushed out the door in time for not only the 2004 holiday season, but also to get it in for the Nintendo DS launch lineup.
- Your health bar falls too quickly during combat, meaning you'll die a lot in the harder missions before getting better. Think of it like Milon's Secret Castle, where Milon dies in a couple seconds due to the lack of mercy invincibility.
The Only Redeeming Quality
- The graphics are quite good for a launch DS game.
The DS version received mixed or average reviews from critics and fans alike, On Metacritic, it holds a rating of 61/100. IGN gave a score of 7.5/10 and GameSpot gave a 6/10.