Rockstar Games, Inc. is an American video game publisher based in New York City. The company was established in December 1998 as a subsidiary of Take-Two Interactive.
They're best known for creating the Grand Theft Auto, Midnight Club, Red Dead and Max Payne franchises.
Why They Suck Now
Note: Most of the reasons are caused by Take-Two Interactive.
- Like all other hated companies (like Konami and Blizzard), they went greedy.
- They only care about and milk the Red Dead and Grand Theft Auto series to death and ignore their other franchises like the Manhunt, Midnight Club, Max Payne, and Bully franchises. They even canceled Bully 2 because of this.
- The infamous "Shark Cards" in GTA Online. (Which, you have to pay these in order to gain money easily in GTA Online). Grinding in GTA Online is an extremely sluggish process, even completing the biggest heist available, the Diamond Casino heist, will only yield you around 1 million dollars, and some of the best vehicles and assets in the game costs around 3 million.
- They and the voice actors parted ways on bad terms. For example, after Michael Hollick argued with Rockstar over him not being paid enough after his work for Grand Theft Auto IV; he received $100,000 in total for his work while the video game grossed $600 million in total.
- Crunch culture is running rampant. Sam Houser himself is a workaholic, and expects his employees to do the same. During 's development, they forced their employees to work 100 hours/week.
- Rockstar and did not have a good relationship with each other, as they refused to release the GTA titles on their consoles (excluding the handhelds), and only a select few of their games were released on said consoles, like Bully: Scholarship Edition and Manhunt 2 on the Wii, and L.A. Noire on the Switch.
- Similarly to Bethesda constantly re-releasing The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim, they have re-released Grand Theft Auto V too many times. Considering that the game released in 2013 and is available for three different console generations, this can be seen as them trying to milk the game as much as they can before they release a new Grand Theft Auto game.
- On the subject of Grand Theft Auto, they haven't released the last game in the III era, for mobile devices, despite all the previous GTA III era games (minus GTA Advance) being released on there.
- They have been releasing all the Saints Row-esque stuff to GTA Online such as jet bikes and flying DeLorean DMC 12s. Thinking about this through, they ended up (unironically) ripping-off several gameplay mechanics, from an ex-GTA clone, who used to try to rip off the original pre–2008 GTA games.
- People have been kicked out of the GTA Online lobbies for no reason. You can tell how bad the admins are.
- Rockstar hasn't made any changes to the chaotic PC port of GTA Online to alleviate hackers and modders plagued into the official servers.
- Even back then they have a handful of subpar games like Earthworm Jim 3D under their name.
- They and Micleasing their games in many territories, they have never had an game where the voice acting was localized to other languages, only the menus are translated.
- Their PC ports (except for Max Payne 3 and Grand Theft Auto V) are poorly optimized or programmed for example: while GTA III, Vice City and San Andreas run fine, they can be glitchy if you uncap the framerate. GTA IV runs poorly even on the powerful GPU's without any tweaks. In Bully at times the textures won't even load without a mod. RDR2 suffers from struttering, texture pop in and frequent crashes.