Raven's Cry is a historical fiction action-adventure game developed by Reality Pump Studios and published by TopWare Interactive. Raven's Cry was released for PC on Steam on January 30, 2015. Later it was pulled from Steam and re-released as Vendetta: Curse of Raven's Cry.
The story follows Christopher Raven as he is on a quest for revenge on a pirate crew who killed his family.
Why It Sucks
- Large amount of bugs and glitches.
- Large amount of missing content.
- The game frequently crashes, and there's a bug in the game that can erase your progress.
- Generic story involving the protagonist trying to kill someone who murdered his family.
- Uninteresting characters. Christopher Raven himself is the worst offender.
- The story has tons of plot holes.
- Plot itself is difficult to follow because characters, their motives, and locations appear without any background information or context. However, the game assumes you can follow who these people are.
- Insulting, offensive writing.
- Poor dialogue.
- Goofy NPC animations, including female characters urinating in bushes whilst standing up as if they're men and a man who instantly goes from asleep to jolting awake whenever you point your gun at them.
- Clunky combat (though ship combat is slightly better than on-foot combat).
- Complete lack of tutorials; you're never told where to go next, which combat engagements you can survive, and the fact that you have the option of fleeing battle during a ship-to-ship fight, which you'll need to do you before you acquire a new ship and upgrade its attributes.
- On-foot combat suffers from terrible input lag, reducing the sword fights to button-mashing bores.
- Swordplay also suffers from awful collision detection, as you can damage enemies even though the blade isn't hitting them, yet direct hits or stabs will go unnoticed.
- Easy final boss.
- Exploration is as irritating as swordplay due to the jerky camera and Chris not being able to walk over any ankle-high objects that aren't stairs.
- Awful voice-acting. One of the developers who worked on the game even admitted that Chris's voice-actor was a random person they hired off the street.
- Until it was eventually removed in a patch, one of your crew members would randomly shout "Be brave (insert expletive)" every few seconds when sailing.
- A character's dialogue files often don't play at all during cutscenes.
- Due to bugs in the sound engine, some dialogue clips being played would be distorted in pitch, sometimes causing a woman to suddenly have a completely masculine voice, others Chris himself ends sounding like Freddy Krueger. Sometimes the voices would be paused mid sentence then suddenly resume as if it never paused.
- The jumping mechanics are stiff and uncontrollable, which makes climbing the game's buildings a nightmare.
- Graphics comparable to late PS2 games or even early Xbox 360 and PS3 games.
- Inconsistent frame-rate.
- Just like War Z, they removed the game and then re-released it under the name, Vendetta: Curse of Raven's Cry on Steam in order get more sales and to mask negative reception of the original game. This was more of an update of the game, rather than just a "re-release".
- It was considered a blatant rip-off to Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag due to having a similar aesthetic and setting.
- When it's original release was pulled from Steam for unknown reasons, many people found the positive reviews for the re-release to be fake.
- The game was 50 bucks at launch considering the game's quality, even worse the re-release's standard edition is 40 bucks and the deluxe edition is 50 bucks!
The Only Redeeming Quality
- The soundtrack is decent.
Raven's Cry was universally panned, and has a Metacritic score of 27 based on 16 reviews, and it's considered to be one of the worst games ever made. The game's reception led to Reality Pump releasing a re-worked version of the game titled Vendetta: Curse of Raven's Cry, and owners of the original were given this version as a free update. However, like the original, it was also met with negative reception.
In his review of the game, Zangado Games stated "There isn't a single glitch in this game. Actually, there is a game in this glitch."
Angry Joe listed this game as #1 of his 10 Worst Games of 2015 list. Similarly DXFan619 listed this game as #1 of his own Top 15 WORST Games of 2015 list and in his review of this game explained that Valve does not care about bad games being put on Steam's marketplace.