Predator: Hunting Grounds
Predator: Hunting Grounds is a multi-player video game developed by IllFonic and published by Sony Interactive Entertainment for PlayStation 4 and Microsoft Windows. It is part of the Predator franchise.
Predator: Hunting Grounds is an asymmetrical multi-player video game. One player controls the Predator, while four others play as a team of special operations soldiers on a mission to collect intel or eliminate a drug lord. The chief element is to either avoid being hunted by the Predator or capture and kill the Predator who in turned will be controlled by the player.
Why It Sucks
- Highly limited gameplay; only ONE game mode was available, where the human players had to complete the mission and escape or kill the Predator. While Predator's only objective is to kill every human players. And there's no singleplayer mode available.
- Only three maps were available, and all of them is partically the same due to all of them were set in Central American forests. Luckily, there will be a new map each update.
- Bad graphics that look like from the seventh generation consoles than a PlayStation 4 game.
- Extremely dumb drug lord goons AI, for example;
- They will occasionally stand in place, letting you shoot them to death without using any cover.
- They may simply suicide charge towards players in an attempt to hit the players due to their extremely poor aiming.
- They usually are not aware about player's presence even when you're shooting the gun right next to them.
- They always prioritize on attacking the Predator over the human player to the extreme, as they'll completely ignore the human players and will stand in place to shoot at the Predator as soon as they spot it.
- Several objectives (other than surviving from the Predator) are extremely repetitive and boring, as all of them is simply reached the targets, hold the button to "do the task" for roughly 5 seconds, rinse and repeat until you completed all mission and call the rescue helicopter in a similar manner to the "Generator" task mission on several other asymmetrical horror game such as Identity V and Dead by Daylight.
- If the human players managed to kill the Predator, the Predator can try to activate the self-destruct bomb as an last ditch attempt to kill all human players if they've failed to defuse it (due to wide explosion radius). While the idea about self-destruct bomb is really creative, it was plagued with several problems, for example;
- Defusing the bomb can be frustrating due to it being a QTE minigame that requires the defuser to match the constantly shuffled password 4 times in a row, with only 30 seconds countdown.
- The players can simply run away to get out of the explosion radius as soon as the bomb is armed, rendered the bomb somewhat pointless.
- If the Predator failed to activate the self-destruct bomb, the human players will get a new mission to protect the Predator's corpse from a wave of drug lord goons who will trying to "destroy" the corpse for absolutely no reason by shooting at it. Not only does this not make any sense, this mission is also extremely easy due to the dumb AI mentioned above.
- Extremely painful grind on both the human characters and the Predator, as all of them are started with very underpowered weapons and armors, and take very long time to progress.
- The max level (level 50) Predator (dubbed "the Berserker") is extremely overpowered, due to him basically being a bullet sponge that can take over hundreds of bullets and shells from human players, and can easily knock out and kill the human player in a few hits.
- Horrible matchmaking. There's no level cap in the matchmaker, which means a newbie human player will be occasionally pitted against an extremely overpowered level 50 Berserker Predator, who is pretty much unkillable by a low-level players' gun, while it can knock out these new players in just one hit.
- The matchmaking time is very long and can take up to 6 minutes.
- Poor server connectivity, the game will occasionally disconnect for no reason.
- Loot boxes; while they were solely cosmetic and only available for purchase with in-game currency, this hinted that the game was going to be released with paid loot boxes, which fortunately have not implemented as of yet.
- The game occasionally suffers from bugs and glitches, such as low-poly models or missing textures, this glitch may often occur on the menu screen.
- DLC exploitation; The developers stated that they will release "free updates" along with paid DLCs every month, this practically explains why the game feels like it's in an unfinished state, hench lack of content.
- The developers released DLC for Dutch (a character played by Arnold Schwarzenegger from the first Predator movie) at a high price of $6.99 considering that he looks nothing like Dutch in the movie.
- Other than Dutch DLC, there's also a $6.99 DLC for one new gun and knife, which the developers stated that it will be available for free to all players later in late June. Considering that this DLC was released on May 26, 2020, this weapon DLC is essentially a 1-month paid "early access" for new weapons.
- Great soundtrack, although it was simply reused from the original Predator scores.
- Other than the overpowered Berserker Predator, the game also featured other classes of Predators that have various different playstyle, which helped to add some varieties to the game.
- Thankfully, there will be update every month there will be like fix connection issues, new map, new skins, etc.
Predator: Hunting Grounds received "mixed or average" reviews, according to review aggregator Metacritic.
Tomas Franzese of Inverse reviewed the beta calling it the "worst Sony game of this generation", that the "game feels like a mess", visually outdated and unpolished. Jonathon Dornbush of IGN who also played the trial weekend noted the excessive wait times to get in to a game was a little more hopeful and wrote that he hopes that Illfonic "can find a better balance to making the other objectives a bit more interesting".
Angry Joe rated the game 3/10, praising good soundtrack and Predator class system, while criticizing lack of contents, unreliable server, and poor game balance. The game was ranked #6 on Angry Joe's Top 10 WORST Games of 2020! video.