Phil Fish is a former French-Canadian indie game developer notable for making the critically acclaimed retro style platforming puzzle game, Fez, which was developed by his company, Polytron.
Before making Fez, in 2008, he worked as employee of Ubisoft and Artificial Mind & Movement.
Why He Sucks
- During the early days of Gamergate, he sided with Zoe Quinn and simply "listened and believed".
- Badmouthed gamers and even his own fanbase on many occasions.
- Immeasurable drama queen who used to quit the internet forever every couple of weeks.
- When he was given money to produce Fez 2, he insulted gamers and his fanbase one last time, took the money and left the industry.
- Outright stated in a tweet that he hates the game industry.
- Has a massive ego:
- Thinks that he is better than everyone else, and acts like a manchild that thinks he is owed something.
- Although Fez was released to high acclaim, the game was riddled with bugs despite a five year development cycle. Fish first made several excuses not to make patches, claiming that "Microsoft would charge us tens of thousands of dollars to re-certify the game" and that "the save file delete bug only happens to less than a percent of players. It’s a shitty numbers game to be playing for sure, but as a small independent, paying so much money for patches makes NO SENSE AT ALL." When he did release a patch, it corrupted player's data.
- He claimed that "Japanese games just suck", despite the fact that his game, Fez, is a knock-off of Daisuke "Pixel" Amaya's Cave Story.
- Claims that anyone who does a Let's Play video of Fez owes him money for using his content. Hilariously, this implies that he thinks you can fully experience Fez without actually playing it.
The Only Redeeming Quality
- He made one good game, which is obviously Fez.
Although he made one good game, his huge ego, insulting behavior, and running off with the money that was given to him to make a sequel pretty much ticked off most of the gaming community. Fish also received two blistering videos from former YouTuber AlphaOmegaSin that were are pretty much "The Reason You Suck!" speeches in nature.