MovieStarPlanet is an online game released in 2009 by Danish company MovieStarPlanet ApS. Despite the game originating in Denmark, it has servers for many languages, such as English, French, Finnish, Spanish, and Polish, to name a few.
You can create your own Movie Star and modify them by buying clothes for them, and touching up their physical appearance using cosmetics at the Beauty Clinic. The main objective of the game itself, however, is to make movies, which can be rated, shared by others, and commented on. The game also has a leveling system and requires membership to receive the full experience of the game.
- The game has a very poor community.
- A lot of the players are rude and snobby, and will exclude you if you're either a player without membership or a low-leveled user.
- Too much drama abusers, the forums are full of drama, all they like is nothing, they are rude to you.
- Many players will accuse you of stealing their outfits, even though you might have been inspired by the outfit they made.
- The rare items and traders. If you are "rare trading" with a user, there's a quite high chance you're gonna get scammed and have your rare items stolen from you, so it's quite risky.
- There are so many fake photos, such as when a person pretends to be a celebrity such as Britney Spears and Kylie Jenner, and the former's photo says: Me (Real Not Fake), everyone says that they are fake, so celebrities don't play MovieStarPlanet.
- In 2016, a new NPC was added, named Holly Nova, which caused a lot of hate. Holly Nova mainly posts celebrity gossip, and it receives a lot of hate.
- There are also fake hackers in MovieStarPlanet, such as back in 2012, Anonymous was the hacker, but from now on, there are fake accounts and hackers.
- Back in 2016, Hallo123, a hacker, hacked MovieStarPlanet, which means MovieStarPlanet might have became broken.
- It is easy to hack the game, meaning you can bot movie views to get StarCoins and fame. Spawn Ultra rares, and lastly get rare skin and rare eyes via Cheat Engine.
- The game was recently hacked on May 29, 2020, with many of the high scorer's accounts got changed to a Dark Gray male with weird eyes, causing many users to contact MSP to fix their accounts, but they didn't fix many of the accounts. Although it's neat to see how the male body types with the female faces are mashed together, making them look buff.
- For years, the game has had a very severe lag problem. You can't do anything without the game severely lagging, unlike their other games BooniePlanet and BlockStarPlanet.
- In 2019, the developers forced a lot of users to download their software, causing users to quit MovieStarPlanet because of their software is too laggy for old computers, even the new computers can lag also.
- The characters look ugly, as the characters looks like Bratz dolls. When a user has VIP, they look even more ugly.
- No new updates, all they do is new themes, and for new themes they reuse their old stuff to match with the theme.
- It wasn't updated until 2021 in which the PC version now allowed you to get boys clothes, even if you are a female avatar.
- The Mobile version has less features from the desktop version, downgraded graphics, and it wasn't updated since 2015
- The Danish server is extremely easy to get 2009-2010 accounts via password guessing.
- False advertising: The commercials for MovieStarPlanet excessively hype it up, as if there is so much to do in the game. However, there isn't even that much to do aside from making movies, showing off your creative abilities with "ArtBooks", and some other mediocre features.
- A lot of the clothing in the game is overpriced. While you're on the topic of prices, the main currencies of the game are called StarCoins and Diamonds. Neither of them can be received easily, save for means of having your movies viewed, or buying them with your mom's credit card.
- The membership for the game is also overpriced to some extent as well, although it isn't as bad as Roblox's pricing system for its currency, Robux, and its membership.
- The leveling system is really slow. Once you reach the status of Level 20, it will take you forever to get to the higher levels.
- Pixi Star herself. Pixi is an NPC added to the game sometime in 2015 that solely exists to help the new players out with MovieStarPlanet, and how the game works. Once she's done introducing herself, she will send you a friend request, and there is no way whatsoever to deny it or unadd them. It's really pointless to have her on your friend's list because you can't even interact with her. All she does is promote her newly created content. The male equivalent of her, Zac Sky, acts exactly like this too.
- The game has a very poor moderation system.
- You can get banned for really silly reasons, and even they won't show the reason.
- Back when the game was in browser, the YouTube player was poorly moderated. Where many videos filled with gore and swears can be found, but videos with minor gore will be hidden
- Their second game MovieStarPlanet 2 is quite bad and was rushed. It has no music, no movies, and lots of stuff is missing from the original.
- The game also crashes a lot on mobile.
- The music while great, was very low quality (this suffers for some MovieStarPlanet's tracks).
- The Movie system, is just you dragging and dropping stuff to make an animation.
- Most of the backgrounds were stolen from an animation website called Vyond.
- It used to be good in the past, before 2012.
- There are also some nice users in the community, like mybeau, BLORANGETIGER, and Waterfallstream.
- Some of the MovieStarPlanet videos are decent.
- The most popular servers in MovieStarPlanet are the Polish servers, and the community is better than from an American servers.
- Some items are very well designed.
- It has many features, like Design Studio which you can make your own clothing.
- You can upload photos to use in your artbooks.
- The Danish server has no lag at all.
- As mentioned earlier, the music is great.
- When the website first fully launched in 2011, it was owned by Cartoon Network.
- Despite a bad reputation, MovieStarPlanet won an award for Most Innovative Company in Denmark in 2014.
- In late 2020, the website got revamped and you cannot play the game anymore unless you download the PC version, however for some Chromebook users they have to use the mobile version which has less features.
- Their infamous "internet safety" video, which has spawned various memes among the game's community for its laughable dialog and inconsistent editing.