Mortal Kombat Mythologies: Sub-Zero
Mortal Kombat Mythologies: Sub-Zero is a 1997 action-adventure game based off the fighting game series, Mortal Kombat. It's the first Mortal Kombat game to feature side-scrolling gameplay.
Unlike the rest of the series, the game is a 2D side-scrolling platformer game with beat'em'up gameplay sections and boss battles. The player controls Sub-Zero in multiple stages as he faces multiple enemies trying to eliminate him.
Mythologies is a prequel set prior to the events of the original Mortal Kombat game. The story centers on the ice ninja, Sub-Zero, as he's asked to find an amulet by the sorcerer Quan Chi or be banished.
Why it Sucks
- The game uses the standard Mortal Kombat fighting controls which are completely ill suited for a platforming game that requires percise jumping. It doesn't help that you have to jump with the Up button and need to press a button just to turn around.
- Awful level design full of instant-death traps and cryptic puzzles (falling pillars, blade pendulums, etc.) that kill you constantly.
- Slightly delayed control. It takes a few seconds to perform Sub-Zero's Freeze move after execution.
- The graphics are okay, but the sprites are awful, especially in the N64 version.
- Dreadful A.I..
- Sub-Zero's moves have to be unlocked in an unnecessary RPG like progression system.
- The foreground sometimes obstructs the background, like in Batman Forever.
- The camera is zoomed too close, causing you to get hit by off-screen enemies and leads to multiple leaps of faith jumps.
- Some of the enemies are ridiculous, e.g. a robot somehow is a boss fight?
- As soon as you lose your last life, it takes you to the Continue Screen instantly meaning you might accidentally hit “No” and get a Game Over.
- The deaths and screams (not only of Sub-Zero) are unintentionally hilarious and they only get funnier the more you watch them.
- The plot does explore a good amount of lore involving the series, including Scorpion's canonical death, Shinnok's amulet, among others.
- There is a funny series of outtakes from the cutscene actors.
- It is possible to get enemies killed by death traps.
Mortal Kombat Mythologies: Sub-Zero was met with extremely negative reception from critics and players alike, and it is considered considered to be one of the worst video games of all time. Due to the game's massive failure, plans for other "Mythologies" MK games were cancelled.