Mortal Kombat (SNES)
Mortal Kombat is a fighting video game released in 1992 for the arcades. Due to its success, Mortal Kombat received ports to several platforms and even spawned a franchise. The game was ported to the Super Nintendo in 1993 by Sculptured Software and Acclaim, which this page will cover.
Why It Sucks
- The worst thing about the SNES version was that it was heavily stripped-down due to Nintendo's strict censorship, with the blood being replaced with sweat and the fatalities being renamed to "finishing moves".
- Not to mention, the fighters bleeding sweat just makes it more disgusting and nauseating than bleeding blood, according to The Angry Video Game Nerd.
- The fatalities are also modified, with most of them looking awful next to the aforementioned non-existent blood.
- Stiff and almost unresponsive controls.
- The Start button is virtually useless during fights, though blocking has been mapped to the shoulder buttons of the controller.
- This version has than the other versions of the game.
- The graphics and sound are still mostly the same.
- Due to the Sega Genesis version selling more copies than the SNES version, Nintendo allowed the sequel Mortal Kombat II for the SNES to keep the blood and gore and the fatalities intact due to the advent of the ESRB Rating System in North America.
- Some of the censored fatalities served as inspiration for future games in the franchise.
- A hack exists that restores the uncensored content to make it better, .
| "What were they thinking?"|
While the original game sparked controversy for its amount of violence, the SNES port sparked its own controversy for its heavy censorship.
This version heavily damaged the Super Nintendo's reputation and even decreased its sales, in contrast to the Genesis port. The port received mixed reviews at the time, but today it is often considered one of the worst ports of all time.
- By doing a glitch, you can unlock and play as Goro or Shang Tsung if you reach them, but after beating Shang Tsung with Goro or Shang Tsung himself, the game will crash.