Metal Gear Solid 2: Substance (PC)
Metal Gear Solid 2: Substance is a rerelease of Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty for the PlayStation 2, Xbox and PC. While the console version is often considered one of the best games ever made, the PC version is notoriously flawed, which the article will focus on.
Why This Port Sucks
- The install size was colossal for the time, at a whopping 7GB when other PC games at the time weighed 1-2GB at most.
- It barely works on many PCs without heavily patching it with fan-made patches.
- The game was designed for the PS2's DualShock 2 controller, and some portions of the game require very sensitive actions, making playing with a keyboard very difficult.
- It also had graphics and audio issues on some systems, including flickering textures and disappearing shadows.
- Mapping the keyboard controls to a controller was a nightmare, as it required 2 more buttons than the default PC controller had.
- The skateboarding minigame is not included in this version.
- The function to save without using the Codec was not carried over from Integral.
- The ESC key doesn't pause the game like any normal game would. Instead, it exits the game entirely.