Mario & Luigi: Paper Jam
Mario & Luigi: Paper Jam (known as Mario & Luigi: Paper Jam Bros. in Europe and Australia) is the fifth game in the Mario & Luigi series, it was the last game in the series that wasn't a remake.
When cleaning Princess Peach's castle closet, Luigi accidentally opens a magic book that causes everyone in the paper world to come to the real world.
- The main reason the game quality is terrible is because it suffers from a high amount of problems that Paper Mario: Sticker Star has. This includes:
- Lack of detailed plot, especially in a Mario & Luigi game.
- Little to no new or original characters.
- Most of the NPCs are just normal Toads.
- The cards are awful replacements for badges. You only have limited uses of them unlike badges.
- In the Bowser Jr. fight, he and his paper counterpart, Paper Bowser Jr., dodge most of your attacks, and one of the attacks is completely unavoidable if at least one character is defeated in battle.
- Paper Mario is extremely overpowered; he has the copy block allowing him to create clones of himself, allowing him to dodge attacks better and deal more hits on enemies. Plus, it can be used as much as you want in battle. Most of the time, he will be the only character that has not been defeated at the end of a boss.
- Although it is a crossover with the Paper Mario series, there are little to no things from the first three paper Mario games, however a high amount of things from Sticker Star do make a return, making the game more of a crossover with Sticker Star.
- Too much backtracking.
- The game has a high amount of glitches that are very easy to pull off, such as a glitch with the trio grab that allows you to actually walk through walls.
- It is unexplained why the Paper Toads get scared of Paper Mario.
- Barely any characters from any previous Mario & Luigi games reappear in this game, making it the only game to not have any characters from Superstar Saga who reappear in this game.
- Paper Toad missions can range from very easy to irritating.
- Despite the lack of story, there are a high amount of funny moments and dialog in the game.
- Paper Luigi makes a funny and hilarious cameo at the end of the game.
- The core Mario & Luigi battle system is still intact unlike another game.
- The game has parts that can be fun.
- The game introduces the emergency block/guard, which reduced damage from enemies, and would later appear in the Superstar Saga and Bowser's Inside Story remakes.
- While not the best, the bosses are great and pretty creative.
- Awesome soundtrack.
- There's a part in the game where Nabbit becomes your partner.
- You can choose to skip in-game tutorials unlike Dream Team.
- Mario's last Bros. Attack, Toad Trail, does a lot of damage.
- Known in Japan as Mario & Luigi RPG Paper Mario MIX (マリオ&ルイージRPG ペーパーマリオMIXミックス, Mario ando ruīji RPG pēpāmario Mikkusu)