Just Dance 2017
Just Dance 2017 is the eighth installment of the Just Dance franchise. The game was first teased on June 10, 2016, and was officially revealed at E3 2016. The game was released in North America on October 25, 2016. The Nintendo Switch version of the game was released on March 3, 2017, as a launch title. In addition, a Chinese version, 舞力全开2017, was announced on March 22, 2017.
Why It Sucks
Why the game itself sucks in general
- Almost all the songs in the game have been criticized for being way too easy by fans of the franchise.
- The Extreme version of Worth It, one of the songs in the game, is too easy and not challenging.
- Katy Perry, the most prolific musical artist in the franchise, is noticeably absent in this installment after appearing in Just Dance for SEVEN CONSECUTIVE GAMES (making it 7 consecutive years).
- The same could be said for Lady Gaga, who too is noticeably absent in this installment after appearing in Just Dance for three consecutive games (making it 3 consecutive years).
- The Extreme routine for Sorry has a notoriously artificial difficulty where some of the moves randomly sync with the vocals and instruments, making it a confusing mess for beginners of the franchise.
- Some of the moves in the chorus for Lean On are completely out of sync with the song.
- The Family Battle for Watch Me (Whip/Nae Nae) is cringeworthy and undeserving of the Alternate routine spot.
- The routines for Bang, Sorry and Single Ladies (Put a Ring on It) have been criticized for not incorporating the official moves in their respective music videos.
- In an attempt to be creative, Ubisoft gave Into You a geisha-themed choreography. Not only is it out of context with the song itself, but also very awkward to perform in the chorus and too repetitive.
- It was later revealed that the reason for the Japan theme was because of Ariana Grande's love for Japan.
- They canceled most cool alternatives and songs (For example: In The Hall of the Pixel King (which would later make an appearance in Just Dance 2018), Itsy Bitsy Teenie Weenie Yellow Polkadot Bikini (also made it in Just Dance 2018), Alternative for Titanium, Early alternative for Radical)
- Mashups are unavailable for Xbox 360 for unknown reasons (But available on the Wii....)
- The Community Remixes for PoPiPo and the cover of What Is Love? were canceled for unknown reasons.
- Steam version doesn't have any achievements.
Why the game's Switch port is a disaster
- The port's motion detection is worse than the Wii version, even though the Switch is ELEVEN YEARS younger than the Wii when it was first released.
- The game is extremely prone to lagging.
- Made worse when players use Just Dance Unlimited on the Switch.
- Two of the most popular routines on the main game itself, Like I Would and the cover for Last Christmas, were absent from the Switch port and can only be accessed through Just Dance Unlimited.
- World Dance Floor made a return after its controversial removal in Just Dance 2016's 8th generation console ports.
- The Boss Battle mode came with it, which is fun to play.
- The Extreme routine for Scream & Shout has been praised for its difficulty and super-fast movements.
- The remix for Tico-Tico No Fubá mashed together various genres of music really well and is fun to listen and dance to.
- Queen made a re-appearance in the franchise after being absent from it for 4 years, with Don't Stop Me Now.
- The Alternate routine for the cover of What Is Love? faithfully recreated the memeworthy car scene in the Roxbury Guys sketch in Saturday Night Live.
- Most of the songs' backgrounds are visually awesome, in particular, the background for Wherever I Go.
- Chiwawa, one of the main songs in Just Dance 2016, returns as one of the main songs in the game's Switch port.
- This is the first (and possibly the only) entry in the franchise to receive a PC port.
- The Beta songs (But not the Alternates) became playable on Just Dance 2018.
- This entry helped propelled the careers of Gigi Rowe and Daya Luz, by featuring their debut singles Run The Night and Te Dominar as playable songs respectively.