Grand Theft Auto (Game Boy Color)
Grand Theft Auto is a video game released in 1997 for the PC and PlayStation and developed by DMA Design. A port for the Game Boy Color was released in 1999 by Rockstar Games and Tarantula Studios, which this page will cover.
Why It Sucks
- The playable character walks too slowly.
- Bad and confusing controls: the "A" button has to be pressed to walk forwards, the down arrow to walk backwards and left and right arrows to spin.
- The missions are too hard, and it's very difficult to know what to do.
- The missions are also very buggy. Some missions which can be easily done in the PC and PlayStation versions are almost impossible to complete in the Game Boy Color version due to bad programming.
- Hard to steal vehicles.
- The stolen vehicles drive incredibly fast, which makes it difficult to avoid obstacles.
- Very few cars, people, weapons and money.
- Poor police AI.
- Very small explosions.
- Terrible vehicle controls, like in Dick Tracy on NES.
- The game apparently avoided Nintendo's censorship: most missions from the PC game are in this version. The few missing missions probably were removed due hardware limitations.
- The big cities still almost the same as they are in the original PC game, which is technically impressive for a Game Boy Color game.
- Good soundtrack (except in vehicle).
IGN gave the port a 4 (Bad) out of 10, and has a rating of 2.55 on GameFAQs. Youtuber Shane Luis of Rerez described the port as a "very-very-very bad" version of Grand Theft Auto.