Generic "Hentai" Shovelwares on Steam
Warning! This article is NSFW!
This article may contain content unsuitable for readers under eighteen years or older.
As the name suggests, "Hentai" shovelware games are a type of shovelware that uses adult content as the main "selling point", but with barely any difference from each "game". Almost every single game of this type has "Hentai" in its title to indicate that they were indeed, a hentai game. They are also sold at very low prices (mostly 1-2$) while offering little to no content considered its pricing.
Types of Shovelware Hentai Games
- Puzzle games that either involve sliding puzzle pieces or Match-3 style gameplay to unlock hentai CGs. These are often the easiest ones to make as they require very little coding, and the developers can just swap the images of the puzzle and release them as "new" games. These games were mostly "based" on other successful adult puzzle games like HuniePop and Mirror.
- Shooter games (usually third-person) which consist almost entirely of stolen and/or store-bought assets (including your character and enemies). These are the more "advanced" variants of "Hentai" games and thus are sold at higher prices than the jigsaw hentai games.
Why They Suck
- Similar to ordinary shovelware games, they are often filled with tons of bugs and glitches.
- Extremely boring and repetitive gameplay. In the puzzle games, you have to slide the similar puzzle over and over again until you unlocked all of the CGs, while in the shooter games, you shoot the same enemies over and over again until you die.
- Extremely limited content, especially when considering that other adult games being sold for similar prices (such as the aforementioned Mirror) have far more content and polish.
- These types of games tend to feature treasure troves of stolen artwork used without the original artist’s permission, and which can often be found at higher quality using reverse image searching sites like TinEye and SauceNAO.
- The "developers" usually follow the "trend" of literally anything that gets even a remote amount of public attention at that time by creating a "hentai" game out of it. This includes, but is not limited to, Hentai - World War II (released as a "tie-in" with WW2 MMO shooting game Hell Let Loose), Hentai Area 51 (based on the storm Area 51 memes), and even one based on the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic, the latter fortunately being delisted from Steam for "being a troll game".
- Literally every single "Hentai" game was actually an achievement farmer that gives away a lot of achievements by just opening the game and playing the game for a while.
- It's safe to assume that every single "hentai" games were asset flip from the one to the another, especially a puzzle game that's simply just the same puzzle game being released over and over again with different titles and stolen images.
- Similar to other shovelware games, shovelware "Hentai" games relied on the "Quantity over Quality" motif, as each "developer" released over 50 - 100 "games" on Steam, which will eventually overshadow an actually decent adult game on Steam.