Gangstar New Orleans
Gangstar New Orleans is an action-adventure game developed by Gameloft Divertissements and published by Gameloft for Android and iOS. It is the 9th installment in the Gangstar series.
Following a series of raids by the New Orleans Police Department, the five biggest crime lords of New Orleans are arrested, leaving their former territory up for grabs.
Alain Boudreaux, a nightclub owner and small-time mobster, recognizing the opportunity at hand, decides to call in all of his favors and go for broke in an effort to take control of the city's entire criminal underworld. He begins by enlisting the help of Elsie Parker, a street race promoter and organizer, who in turn recruits the player, an out-of-state gun for hire, into the fledgling gang.
Why It Sucks
- Much like Mafia III, the game focuses more on "Take Over Territory" style missions as the game constantly pesters you with it. You also need to complete side missions to take over the territory, which can be annoying because the player may not have the requirements to start the mission.
- The character models, while not bad, look very blocky and bring to mind something from a kids game which doesn't really fit a game that's rated 18+. In fact, the graphics could have great potential.
- The loading times are incredibly slow as it takes one minute to load the game, unlike most mobile games which only take a couple of seconds. This is quite disappointing. After all, mobile games should take at least a couple of seconds to load because mobile games don't contain a lot of gigabytes.
- The open world is empty as there's nothing the player can do, as there's no shops, strip clubs, and restaurants. It just makes New Orleans feel like a ghost town with brain-dead NPCs.
- You cannot purchase anything with the in-game currency in the online store as most things cost in real-life money, proving that Gameloft is quite greedy for money.
- There aren't many vehicles to drive, as the only ones you can drive are cars, bikes, and speedboats, which is pretty much about it. They did add an airplane but that was about it.
- For some weird reason, the player isn't able to hide their weapons as the game doesn't have a fist option which gets annoying. This means the player will constantly walking around with a gun for the rest of the game.
- Game crashes, frame drops, and delay in loading times are unfortunately quite common and makes the game unplayable to the point where the player will just give up and uninstall the game.
- Much like Grand Theft Auto V and Mafia III, but to a much greater and further extent, the police AI is incredibly stupid for a number of reasons. For example, if you steal a car in front of a police officer or a police car, the police do absolutely nothing to the player.
- The police are also way too overpowered after getting three stars wanted level as their health becomes so hard to kill that you'll just give up eventually.
- The draw distance is incredibly sloppiest and badly done, as you'll see an asset from a far distance that looks like something from a 6th generation game.
- The island the player owns, while not entirely bad, can be unfair to new players for a number of reasons.
- If the player wants to upgrade something like their garage for example, they have to use a different kind of currency which is extremely hard and difficult to get.
- The core gameplay can be fun, but it's unfortunately rare.
- E-man from Gangstar Vegas returns which was a nice feature and he's also one of the main characters.
- Weapons have infinite ammo which was great considering the fact the player doesn't have to worry about losing ammo.
- While owning an island flopped, it was still a nice feature.
- While there isn't much to do in the open world, the map is huge.
The game received "generally unfavorable reviews" according to Metacritic, receiving a rating of 48/100. Critics claim that the game is "an uninspired GTA clone afflicted by poor controls and by the very bad idea of creating an open world game on a tablet."
- Several templates and corporate files are found in the game's files.
- The font used by this game is an italic version of Upboleters.