FIFA 21 is a 2020 football/soccer game developed and published by different divisions of Electronic Arts. It is the 28th installment in the FIFA franchise. This is the first FIFA game to be released for ninth generation consoles.
Why It Sucks
- The FIFA 21 player ratings are nothing but a joke.
- Pro Clubs still doesn't have an update. Yet it is even worse than in FIFA 20:
- In Pro Clubs if you want to do a drop in match, it can kick you out for no reason.
- Pro Clubs has a broken skill points system as players are not getting their skill points.
- There are certain kits that you cannot use in Pro Clubs.
- This game is nothing but a reskin of the previous FIFA games. It has still the exactly same graphics like its predecessors.
- Similar to other FIFA titles, many bugs and glitches were carried over and still exist without any fixes, some notable examples including.
- There is a speed glitch where you can reach your full speed instantly when you have the ball (The player must have around 90 Balance and Agility).
- In VOLTA, there is a major bug in which you can encounter a giant goalkeeper. It makes the game mode almost unplayable as the goals are much smaller and the giant pretty much covers the whole goal.
- There is a possibility that the ball will get stuck to the cross bar and the goalkeeper not catch the ball, resulting in a goal that is preventable.
- There is a glitch where you can make many accounts and you can transfer your coins to you own account in Ultimate making you have a massive advantage in getting players and completing SBCs which will give special players. Even if you lose every game you will get a minimum of 10K.
- They got rid of the EA Catalogue which is where you can buy certain things with in-game currency and is now part of the game like the financial takeover but for Scout Future Star in Career Mode you had to pre-order the game. Otherwise, you pretty much can't use it
- The Legacy Edition version is exactly the same thing as the FIFA 20 version.
- The game suffered from many licensing issues (mainly due to the exclusive licensing deals of Konami's Pro Evolution Soccer 21), including;
- Juventus and AS Roma does not appear in the game and thus replaced with a generic counterpart (Piedmonte Calcio and Generic Capitale, respectively), as well as the whole Italian Serie B.
- La Spezia and Crotone does not have their official kits or logo.
- Many Brazilian teams are not in the game.
- Several national teams are not in the game, such as Croatia.
- In the base game, Boca Juniors and River Plate are replaced with their generic counterpart Buenos Aires and Nunez, but in the CONMEBOL Libertadores broadcast packaging it is listed as Boca Juniors and River Plate.
- Despite EA claiming that they have the CONMEBOL special packaging, the Brazilian teams still only have generic players which makes no sense because Boca Juniors and River Plate has their actual players in the game, which also makes no since as this added Brazilian teams like Flamengo.
- Despite Atletico Tucuman and Deportivo Tolima making it in the Copa Sudamericana, they will not show up in the CONMEBOL Sudamericana package. Which makes 0 sense because Tigre is the only team in the Argentine 2nd division in the game yet they managed to get them in.
- FUT is where most of the effort is going to, as EA makes most of their money through the purchase of FIFA Points, which is used to gamble on card packs.
- They managed to make the goalkeeper controls much worse than FIFA 20's goalkeeper controls, which means that if you play Pro Clubs or offline in general, it's either you have a terrible AI in the goal or an actual goalkeeper with malfunctional controls. It's hard to make just a simple catch.
- Despite Nunez and River Plate being the same exact team, Nunez has a higher rated midfield while River Plate has a higher rated defense.
- Career mode is better, however, there is a glitch that if you play a match, the game has a random chance to crash. The same thing for simulating the matches, with the only way to have this not happen is by simulating on the calendar.
- Customization is off. It feels like it has less options then previous FIFA games:
- Allison, one of the best goalkeepers in the game, has the wrong gloves on. This is a running theme for most players as they have different kits in the game. Similar to Armani in FIFA 20 where his Nunez version wears generic EA sports gloves while his River Plate version wears Reusch gloves.
- Less customization for goalkeepers. Several brands from FIFA 20 like Sells and Uhlsport are missing, not to mention that most of the gloves aren't even real and some of those gloves are a copy of the Nike Mercurial Touch.
- Speaking of the Nike Mercurial Touch gloves, they don't have the official color way in the game. And as for the cleats, most of them are Adidas with pretty much every other brand having a few cleats to choose from. About 2/3 of the cleats are generic or Adidas.
- When the game launched there were reports of FIFA points being transferred to FIFA 20 instead of FIFA 21 as well as the transaction not going through.
- In the launch of PC, there were problems, like that the fact that the game would crash when trying to load.
- The Player Career mode is just the same but you can now simulate matches. And that's it. Nothing to see here.
- They messed up the goalkeeper animation in Pro Clubs. You can do everything right and your goalkeeper will not make a save because the developers made the animation so bad that goalkeepers are now almost unplayable.
- The cover art in both editions (Standard and Legacy) look awful, and it looks like it was made in Microsoft Paint using the copy and paste tool. It is worth noting that EA couldn't do the photo shoot in person due to the pandemic.
- Division Rivals is broken. The rewards for being in division 1 is not that good. If you are ranked 2 in Division 1 you get only 55,000 coins but being ranked 1 in Division 4 (which is easier) gives you 65,000 coins. Not to mention, you get more packs in Division 4. Players are literally losing games on purpose just not to be in Division 1, but because the rewards are worse.
- Unrealistic goals in the game. The cross bar glitch will most likely end with a goal. Another glitch can occur where if the goalkeeper rushes out and saves the ball, the ball will go into the other side of the field and enter the goal.
- This game's gameplay is reliant on pure attack and no defense, meaning you will see the same players every game because EA couldn't code the game correctly. Players like Mbappe and Ben Yedder are frequent in the game.
- Scripting is at its worst in this game. There is one example of a guy who only had 10% possession and misplaced a lot of passes during the first half. After the first half and if you are the guy with 10% possession, the game will help you win. Players like Ramos will be faster than Mbappe and the game pretty much makes you win as all your commands will work.
- You can now play VOLTA online with friends.
- You can finally jump into the match during a simulation in case if the match doesn't go well.
- The soundtrack is nice, like previous FIFA games.
- You can now do unlimited financial take overs.
- Career mode was not released in a broken state unlike FIFA 20.
- The art style of the game looks really good.
The game had mixed to average reviews by critics and a 0.8 by user score for the PlayStation 4 version (making it the lowest rated FIFA ever on the PlayStation), and the Nintendo Switch version has a 0.2 by user score on Metacritic, officially tied with Madden NFL 21 for the lowest rated game by users. In the UK the physical sales were down by 42%.