Eternity: The Last Unicorn
|Eternity: The Last Unicorn|
Eternity: The Last Unicorn is a hack and slash role-playing game developed by Brazilian indie studio Void Studios and published by Russian company 1C Entertainment. It was released on March 5, 2019 for the PlayStation 4, March 6, 2019 for Microsoft Windows, and April 16, 2019 for the Xbox One as the former's debut title.
Why It Sucks
- Really ugly and very outdated graphics that makes the game look like an Early Access PlayStation 3 title or End of PlayStation 2 graphics era, despite running on Unreal Engine 4.
- Clunky fighting mechanics that frequently breaks.
- The game's story is very derivative and uninteresting as it's just the cliche "you join forces with a hero to save a sacred being (in this case, a unicorn) and lift a curse plaguing your homeworld".
- The game's trailer was laughably bad, with poor voice over and plot summaries.
- The game is literally a rip-off of the Souls franchise and even had its own rip-off of The Elder Scrolls in the form of "the Elderly Scrolls" (not kidding).
- Although Void Studios claim that the plot was inspired by Norse mythology, unicorns only exist in Medieval European mythology and so do elves.
- Aurehen, the main playable character, frequently ignores her own health and can suddenly drop dead at random intervals and after one hit.
- Aurehen is also very annoying as she frequently goes "HA!" whenever she swings her weapons, possibly to mimic Link from the The Legends of Zelda franchise.
- It's way too easy to defeat the bosses in the game as they can be very easily cheesed due to their fixed pattern.
- However, the same bosses are also damage sponges too, making boss fights very tedious too.
- Clunky camera that doesn't turn properly, creating blind spots that the enemies can exploit to kill you very easily.
- The game is filled with lots of bugs and glitches.
- There are lots of backtracking involved.
- The crafting system is very awful. Of note, you must craft key mission items in order to continue and complete missions. Otherwise, you'll have to go through a lot of grinding just to even get the bare minimum materials needed to craft them. Even then, you can also fail to craft items too and need to go through even more grinding to get back your items too.
- Practically no facial animations for all the characters, making them unintentionally look horrifying.
- Horrible lighting on some levels.
- The weak attack is so laughably weak that you might as well abuse strong attacks all the way instead.
Eternity: The Last Unicorn received mostly negative reviews from critics and the audience.
The Nerd Stash gave the game a 2/5, criticizing the game's bugginess, animation, story and camera while praising its world and boss battles.
WCCFtech gave the game a 3.5/5, praising its Norse mythology, masochism and length while criticizing its bland story and characters, dated camera and visuals, sluggish and tedious combat, heavy backtracking, crafting system and bugginess.
RPGamer gave the game a 2/5, criticizing its heavy backtracking, bugginess, camera and everything else while praising its concept.
TheSixthAxis gave the game a 2/10, criticizing pretty much everything about the game while praising its "okay" visual.
Paweł Musiolik from Polish website PPE.pl gave the lowest possible score in their rating system, a 1/10, considering Eternity: The Last Unicorn as the worst game of the eighth generation.