Dragon Ball Z: Battle of Z
|Dragon Ball Z: Battle of Z|
Dragon Ball Z: Battle of Z is an action role-playing game based on the manga and anime franchise Dragon Ball. It was developed by Artdink and published by Bandai Namco Games. The game promotes the release of the film Dragon Ball Z: Battle of Gods, featuring the first video game appearance of Goku's Super Saiyan God form as well as the characters Beerus and Whis. it was also the only Dragon Ball game to be released on PSVita.
- The games main focus is online multiplayer, but there is no split screen/offline co-op or vs mode, meaning that you will need to be connected to Xbox Live or Playstation Network in order to play against other players, which is just lazy at best, considering that previous Dragon Ball games had split screen or offline versus.
- The menu screen features a completely pointless world energy meter, which never changes.
- Repetetive and boring combat: in fact, most of the time, you will just fight the same enemies over and over again.
- Terrible controls. Previous Dragon Ball games had far better controls.
- Your teammates on offline mode have terrible AI: they will fight poorly and won't even heal you at times, so it's best that is up to you or just play online with other players.
- Small selection of characters. Most of the characters are just reskins of existing charactes, like Goku or Vegeta.
- There are glitches and bugs, such as clipping through the wall.
- Long loading times.
- Too much grinding, and some missions are just pure filler, just to increase the length of the game.
- It does a poor job following the anime series, which is not a good reason because the previous Dragon Ball Z games (not counting Budokai 2, which had more of it's own story, and Raging Blast 2, which didn't had a story mode at all) followed the anime pretty well.
- Most of the time you have to press the B/Circle button in order to fill up the energy.
- The boss battles can last long for no reason.
- Lackluster gameplay.
- Unbalanced difficulty.
- Great graphics and the animations are a step up from the previous DBZ games.
- Good Sountrack like a cover of Cha-La-Head-Cha-La on the games opening, this cover was reused in Dragon Ball: Xenoverse.
- The game can be fun at times.
- The game runs fine, although it was obvious it was made for the PSvita than the main consoles.
- Goku can wear Naruto's Sage Mode costume from Naruto Shippuden, tying back to Naruto Shippuden: Ultimate Ninja Storm 3's Goku costume for Naruto.
Dragon Ball Z: Battle of Z received mixed reviews, The Japanese magazine Famitsu gave 32/40 to all versions of the game with all four reviewers giving the game 8/10. PSU gave it 8/10, criticising the lack of offline vs. and offline co-op modes. IGN gave an overall score of 6.6/10, criticising the limited combat and the unbalanced teams in Battle Mode, while praising the visuals and the Co-op Mode. GameSpot gave this game a 4/10. It has a Metacritic score of 54/100 for PlayStation 3 version, 53/100 for Xbox 360 version and 66/100 for PlayStation Vita, what means "Mixed or average" reviews.