Jump to navigation Jump to search
Dontrel Dolphin is a Microsoft Windows game created with Game Maker Pro 8.0 released in 2013.
Why It Sucks
- Awful music, which is out of tune and sounds like horror music at times.
- One reason the soundtrack sounds so bad is that what were probably percussion tracks were accidentally mapped to non-percussion instruments, making the songs sound cacophonous.
- Terrible graphics, which go for a hand-drawn approach, but end up looking like some demented, nightmarish version of Yoshi's Island. There are a lot of elements that seem to have been poorly edited to add transparency as there are lots of white pixel artifacts on most graphic elements in the levels. Also, in later levels there are run-off tiles.
- The jumping physics are poor.
- Incredibly long loading times in the earlier versions, on the order of a whole minute for short levels with graphics no more impressive than what you'd have seen in an Amiga game.
- The bosses have an absurdly high amount of hit points, but also simple, predictable patterns, making fights against them more tedious than challenging.
- Newer versions of the game, while fixing some of the glitches from the earlier releases, add in additional graphical glitches and replace the title character's sound effects (which were just generic dolphin sounds in the original version) with badly-done voice acting by the game's creator.
- Dontrel's not-particularly-pretty face takes up a big chunk of the UI at the top of the screen, making it easy for enemies to ambush you.