Donkey Kong Barrel Blast
Donkey Kong Barrel Blast (known as Donkey Kong Jet Race in Europe and Australia) is a 2007 racing game released for the Wii, published by Nintendo and developed by Paon. The game was originally going to be released on the GameCube with the DK Bongos as main controller, but was put on the Wii instead.
Donkey Kong and his friends use jet-propelled barrels to race against a group of Kremlings.
Why It Sucks
- Tough controls because of the bongos being replaced with the Wii remote and Nunchuks. This is also disappointing due to the fact that the GameCube controller is compatible with the Wii console.
- No online mode.
- Missed opportunity for returning characters. Despite that Nintendo had the rights of every Donkey Kong character, old ones like Kiddy Kong (who was originally going to be playable in the cancelled Donkey Kong Racing) and Chunky Kong weren't considered for this game. Lanky and Tiny appear in this game, the latter with her radical redesign from Diddy Kong Racing DS though.
- Weird redesign for Klump, replacing his helmet with a wooden bucket.
- Donkey Kong Barrel Blast was only created because Donkey Kong Racing for the GameCube was cancelled.
- The game is slow paced, making it impossible to reach and/or finish in 1st place in the races.
- Very poor level design.
- GameCube-quality graphics which are not up to the Wii's standards, hence was originally meant for the GameCube before cancelling that version due to the previous platform being discontinued in early 2007.
- Exhausting gameplay, because the players have to alternately shake the Wii Remote and Nunchuk to accelerate, shake one of the two repeatedly to steer left or right, and quickly raise both controllers at the same time in order to jump.
- Donkey Kong Barrel Blast still has some of the Donkey Kong charm to it, such as blasting out of barrels, and collecting bananas.
- Lanky Kong and Tiny Kong from Donkey Kong 64 make a return in the game. Even Kopter, a kremling from Donkey Kong Country 3 got a comeback.
- Brand new characters as Kip, Kass, Kalipso and Kludge, however they didn't return in future games.
- A good enough soundtrack.