Diddy Kong Racing DS
|Diddy Kong Racing DS|
Diddy Kong Racing DS is a Nintendo DS remake of the original Diddy Kong Racing for the Nintendo 64. It was released on February 5, 2007 in North America, April 19, 2007 in Australia, and April 20, 2007 in Europe.
An evil pig named Wizpig takes over a young tiger's parents' island, so Diddy and his friends compete in races to challenge and defeat him.
- Unlike the original Nintendo 64 version, which had Banjo and Conker, the DS remake doesn't have either and they are instead replaced by Dixie Kong and Tiny Kong. This was due to the Microsoft buyout of Rare in 2002.
- Speaking of Tiny, she has been badly redesigned from Donkey Kong 64 due to executive meddling. She went from a small and cute little girl who was fittingly Dixie's little sister, and was also tough-natured, into an older, sexualized teenager, who is still Dixie's younger sister. This decision was ironically made by Nintendo instead of Rare.
- Despite Banjo and Conker's removal, Tiptup was featured in Banjo-Kazooie and Banjo-Tooie, so why was he kept for the remake?
- Bad voice acting. Diddy sounds more like a teenager than the high-pitched voice he normally has and Bubbler the Octopus' laughter whenever he passes you is very grating to listen to.
- The DS Menu icon uses Wizpig instead of Diddy for some weird reason, likely casusing confusion amongst players who open the game.
- The soundtrack in the DS remake is weaker and less energetic than the Nintendo 64 version.
- The controls are terrible. It's hard to use the Touch Screen.
- Very slow gameplay.
- Unlike the original, the DS version has a very long intro sequence.
- The intro in the remake is also lazy. The original depicted the racers riding in their vehicles having fun, but the remake displays Diddy, Tiptup, and Bumper slowly riding on the top screen in their airplanes, which nothing else happening.
- The remake at least has an opening to explain the game's story.
- The remake has a unique mini-game involving the player popping balloons.
- The remake had WFC, allowing people to play online (which unfortunately got discontinued in 2014).
- You can play as Taj and Wizpig in the remake.