Cooking Fever is a cooking simulation mobile game by Nordcurrent. In the game, players make food and drinks to serve customers. Players can also upgrade kitchen appliances, foods, and interior to enhance earnings. Every level has a threshold of earnings to advance to the next level, and players can unlock new restaurants at a certain XP level using coins and gems.
The game has somehow reached over 100 million downloads.
Why It Sucks
- Almost every kitchen appliance, food, and restaurant interior upgrade requires gems. You will also need gems to unlock new restaurants.
- You can get gems by leveling up with XP, the slot machine minigame, playing at least once a day for at least 7 days, or paying for gems.
- It will also give you 5 gems as a gift after a month of inactivity.
- At a certain restaurant level, it is impossible to reach the earning threshold to advance to the next level without buying upgrades that require using gems.
- Some appliances are too slow to keep up with the customers, therefore the customers will pay less or no tips, or will leave if they wait too long.
- To earn more tips, you will need to upgrade the foods or the restaurant interior.
- It is pretty obvious that the game was designed to be pay to win, as gems are very difficult to obtain without spending real money.
- You can earn gems at the Casino, which is a slot machine minigame. Although you can easily earn many coins to spend at the Casino, you will also waste time spamming hundreds of attempts as the chances of winning gems are very low.
- In the Paradise Cocktail Bar, you need to continuously press the ice maker to make ice. You cannot use another finger to multitask while pressing the ice maker.
- The slowness of the ice maker is also a contributing factor to #2
- The game included ethnical stereotypical customers in the Sushi Bar and Indian Restaurant. However, this was removed in December 2019.
- After finishing a restaurant level, it will sometimes pop up a 30-second long advertisement. You cannot skip the advertisement. After the advertisement, you will receive 200 coins, however, you can already easily earn 200 coins by serving customers.
- Killing the app and reopening it will save you time compared to watching the advertisement. You will not earn the 200 coins, however, it is worth it saving your time.
- The gameplay is fun if you pay for gems
- After reaching certain restaurant levels, there may be a limited time offer for automatic cooking machines. You will need a lot of gems, however, it is worth it to make completing the restaurant easier.
- People have discovered that you can cheat the free gift gems after inactivity by changing the device's time (in addition to turning off WiFi and cellular data). However, this cheat no longer works as the game now requires internet to play, likely in response to this cheat.
- At some point, they sponsored FC Barcelona and featured in a restaurant called FC Barcelona Sports Bar. They are no longer sponsored; the restaurant was renamed to Sports Bar and all FCB logos were removed.
- Subsequently, there are similar clone/knockoff games similar to Cooking Fever (mostly on mobile platforms), while Cooking Fever is likely the original.