ConnerTheWaffle (Real name: Conrad Pallman) is a YouTuber who started his account on February 14th, 2009. He started making video game reviews in 2014 and videos covering bootlegs, fan games, and ROM hacks. His channel has about 362,000 subscribers (As of June 23, 2020).
Why He Sucks
- Almost all of his videos contain footage stolen from other creators without credit. This ends up casting doubt as to whether or not he actually plays any of the games he covers, as he almost always seems to just make assumptions about how they play.
- This is most apparent in his Mega Man Fan Games video, where he covers Mega Man VS. Kirby, a crossover game by Megacocorock which is not publicly available and talks as though he played it despite there being no way he could've been able to.
- He even low-key admitted to making assumptions about the games he covers in the Nintendo 64DD section of his Failed Nintendo Consoles video.
- His videos also contain numerous instances of uncredited fan art (most of which coming from DeviantArt) and fan remixes/covers. One notable example of him doing this was when he used the avatar for the Twitter account of a fangame called Super Mario Flashback in the thumbnail for his Satellaview video. When the account told him not to use their art for his thumbnails, he made a new thumbnail which replaced the art with another stolen piece of fanart, that being an Undertale-style battle sprite of Ness from Earthbound.
- On the topic of his thumbnails, they tend to be very cluttered and busy with seemingly no understanding of negative space and often use Undertale-style battle sprites of characters (which as mentioned before are used without credit) even when a vast majority of the videos don't involve Undertale. It is believed that he makes his thumbnails this way to make them as eye-catching as possible.
- He doesn't seem to understand the difference between ROM hacks and fan games and often conflates the two. For example, in his video "FUN Mega Man Fan Games and Hacks!", he claims that the aforementioned Mega Man VS. Kirby as well as Street Fighter X Mega Man were "hacks", but contradicts himself when talking about the latter by saying it was "built from the ground up". He also fails to mention that the latter was officially endorsed by Capcom and made available through their official website.
- Many of his videos are completely boring and repetitive with half of them being about the following topics.
- Fake "crap" bootleg multicart videos.
- Bootleg games.
- Obscure pieces of media.
- Rip-offs or most of the time what he considers a "rip-off".
- Many of his videos contain some form of misinformation or poor research. For example:
- In the aforementioned Mega Man Fan Games video, he somehow managed to list an official Mega Man game (Mega Man: The Power Battle) as a fan game, among other errors and inaccuracies.
- He somehow confuses Ice Age characters Buck and Sid, despite the fact that A.) They look nothing alike, and B.) They belong to completely different species.
- His video on Baldi's Basics Bootlegs has a bunch of mods. Yes, he actually managed to conflate mods with bootlegs.
- Regarding bootlegs, he puts Scratch games and fan games in his bootleg videos.
- Many of his thumbnails can be misleading. For example, in his now-deleted Tetris Rip-offs video, he covers Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine and Kirby's Avalanche but neglects to mention Puyo Puyo, the game both are reskins of, despite Arle (the protagonist of the series) being present in the thumbnail.
- Sometimes he makes terrible jokes.
- He makes racist jokes (Mostly on Russians and Chinese) most of the time and they're not that funny.
- Whenever there's a kart racer/party game, he calls it a Mario Kart/Mario Party rip-off. An example is Angry Birds GO!, where he called it a Mario Kart rip-off despite it being more than that.
- He is also prone to going off-topic. For example, in his video "Nintendo RIP OFFS on Steam", he includes Freedom Planet, despite it clearly being inspired by Sonic, a Sega property. His justification for this is "I know Sonic isn't a Nintendo franchise, but when am I ever gonna talk about this game again?".
- He is a hypocrite. In his World War Blue review, he criticizes the show's abundant fanservice despite seemingly having no problem with using suggestive imagery in his thumbnails.
- He feels like a cheap SpaceHamster, JonTron, Vailskibum94, and Scott the Woz wannabe.
- In fact, his April Fools video on offensive bootleg games rips off Scott the Woz's thumbnails and includes Scott despite him having no affiliation with Conner.
- He once claimed the Nintendo Polystation is an actual console that was made by Nintendo, when it obviously wasn't (It's possible that this was a joke).
- In one episode, he described SM Choukyoushi Hitomi series as a normal SNES hentai game, despite the fact that the game itself is a controversial ryona game which depicts extremely graphic content.
- He does not take criticism well, having a tendency to delete comments critical of him and send hostile DMs to people who dare criticize him.
- His secondary mascot, which is on his cartoon avatar's shirt and is the "O" in his logo, is the waffle character from the music video for the Parry Gripp song "Do You Like Waffles?", demonstrating his lack of originality when it comes to branding.
- His voice is very cringey sounding, as he tries way too hard to sound like JonTron or similar YouTubers, but it just ends up sounding irritating.
- When his first video was uploaded to YouTube, he was a positively likable YouTuber.
- Sometimes he actually plays the game instead of stealing footage from other people.
- He no longer makes fake game theories.
- His videos have very good editing.
- He can be funny at times.
- He is really informative most of the time.
- His voice can be nice to listen to in his older videos.
- His April Fool's Day 2019 video, where he parodies JonTron as "ConTron," is pretty funny and self-aware.
Conner seems to have a red Game Boy Pocket and a SNES, so he might (just might, not actual) be playing bootleg SNES games in one of his videos.