Catfight (also known as Cat Fight and CatFight: The Ultimate Female Fighting Game) is a 1996 fighting game for PC developed by Phantom Card and published by Atlantean Interactive Games (which was the video game branch for Vivid Entertainment, a porn company). It is usually classified as one of the worst video games of all time.
The game's plot can be summerized by its advertisement on Atlantean Interactive's website:
"Join eleven of the fiercest female warriors from across the Ethers as they battle it out for the ultimate power of the Universe! Watch the head-to-head fighting assault blaze its way to your screen -- with the hottest women in games engaging in the most violent fighting techniques imaginable! Some of the things you must endure are disembowelment, decapitation, and worse! It's the ultimate life versus death struggle, where you must pulverize your opponent in eight awesome arenas to survive! Here is your chance to claim your place next to the most awesome women in the galaxy!"
Why It Sucks
- The AI doesn't do anything except block.
- Very choppy framerate.
- Dreadful sound design, mainly repetitive squeals and a god-awful soundtrack, which cannot be muted due to the poorly programmed options menu.
- Terrible, almost amateurish voice acting.
- Unresponsive controls.
- The gameplay is simply uncomprensibly bad, nothing works correctly, not even the hit detection. This makes the game a huge button fest that becomes a big chore to do.
- The game's performance isn't capped. This means if one were to play it on a modern PC, the game would run so fast that it would be even worse than it already is.
- False advertising: It claims to be "the first all-female fighting game" when all-female fighters were already done before and done a lot better than this game.
- The game's true purpose of just being softcore erotica for men fails even on that front due to the ugly digitized graphics.
- And also, the designs of the female fighters are awfully horrendous, unattractive, ill-favored, and ugly to look at, that a few minutes later your eyes will bleed after seeing them and you will not be able to see them again. There are many people and players who want to fall in love with some very attractive female characters, being Bayonetta, since that character shows the sexually attractive and beautiful and is much better than this atrocity.
- The final boss, Shinma looks more like she belongs as a model for a Kiss music video.
- You can do fatalities on Shinma if you finish her with a super move, this of course look terrible.
- The backgrounds look atrocius, and sometimes they turn into a glitchy mess.
- Shinma can be defeated by just doing leg sweeps constantly.
- Many special and super moves are rip offs of other fighting games like Mortal Kombat or Street Fighter.
- The ending of the character Phantasma is a rip off of Blanka's ending on Street Fighter 2.
- The credits are horrible.
The Only Redeeming Quality
- The cover art looks good.
GameRankings rated the game at only 8.67%, their score based on three magazine reviews (Computer Games Magazine rated the game 0/5). The Daily Pennsylvanian called Catfight the "number one sexist game ever created". According to Next Generation, "In fact, it's tempting to believe Catfight was designed as a sneaky feminist ploy, since it serves as perfect punishment for sexist males who might buy it. Our scoring system won't let us give zeroes, so Atlantean owes us one star."
In 2010, PC Gamer ranked Catfight as the seventh worst game of all time, describing it as "so bad, being caught masturbating to it would actually be less embarrassing than being caught playing it." It was also included among the worst games of all time by Digital Spy in 2012 and by GamesRadar in 2014.
In 2015, WatchMojo.com placed CatFight as the Worst Fighting Game of All Time, claiming that it's worse than Shaq Fu. They said that you can have more fun figuring out how many worst games ever awards the game got than playing the actual game.
The developers claim that this is the first fighting game with an all-female cast, but this is not the case. Before this game came out there was a game with a similar premise that was released in Japan only, Seifuku Legend Pretty Fighter. This game should also not be confused with a Simple PS2 game called The Catfight.