Carmageddon (Game Boy Color)
|This article needs cleanup to meet our rules and guidelines. You can help by.|
Carmageddon (Carmageddon: Carpocalypse Now on the title screen, Carmageddon GBC on the rights screen) is a top-down 2D vehicle combat racing game developed by Aqua Pacific and released for the Game Boy Color handheld platform in 1999 for Europe by Sales Curve Interactive, and on March 22, 2000 for North America by Titus Interactive. While the game is called Carmageddon, the game is actually a port of Carmageddon II: Carpocalypse Now.
Why It Sucks
- Like the Nintendo 64 version, this port was censored. Despite the game being rated T, pedestrians were replaced with zombies no matter what (N64 was rated M which very stupid). This is pretty annoying for players who dislike zombies being shoehorned into everything.
- The gameplay feels like you're playing Dick Tracy on the Game Boy Color, rather than racing and smashing cars. Thanks to how badly this port was made, the game looks like it's a Carmageddon game with Dick Tracy theme.
- The controls are horribly junky and unresponsive. Because of this, trying to finish the race in the first place can be very difficult, thanks to how junky and even unresponsive the controls are. And regardless how many times you will press or hold any button that controls your car.
- This port is pretty watered down. There are only sixteen racers, four power-ups and eight tracks in the GBC version of the game. Ironically, the PC version contains more racers, tracks and power-ups, but Aqua Pacific possibly just wanted to butcher the port by removing many racers, power-ups and tracks, just to disappoint the players who played the PC version of the game.
- The AI is horrendous and broken. The enemies behave like they actually are rushing extremely fast to complete the race without even letting the other racers win the race. Because of this, playing the game can be a serious struggle, as the AI is horrendously broken.
- The game sometimes lags, like Sonic the Hedgehog Genesis, probably just to waste more of your time. It can even freeze that would annoy the players so badly. Heck, the game can even crash, which will just force you to restart your console because of the annoying crash that will basically happen to the game, thanks to how badly Aqua Pacific made the game.
- For some strange reason, the game starts out free roam instead of car position, which was not in the actual Carmageddon II at all, probably due to different developer, as mentioned before.
The Only Redeeming Quality
- The title theme, composed by Will Davis, is awesome and catchy.
- GameRankings - 44% 
The Game Boy Color version of Carmageddon was met with negative reviews from critics. On GameRankings, it holds a 44% score.