Battle of the Eras
Battle of the Eras is a fighting game that was developed by Procryon and released for DOS in 1995. It was an attempt to cash in on the digitized fighting game craze of the early 90s', however due to the game selling zero copies, the game became lost until 2013 when Super Fighter Team managed to track down and interview the lead developer (who was only 14 years old when he worked on the game) who released the registered version of the game for free online.
Why It Sucks
- Absolutely abysmal and eye-searing graphics, that consist of digitized backgrounds, sprites that look like they were designed in Paint and colors that clash with the game's stages and setting. Take a look to see for yourself.
- A plot and character descriptions that consist mainly of incredibly flowery prose mixed with hilarious attempts at sci-fi, which as said above, clashes with the overall setting. In fact, it looks a mishmash of various things.
- The sprites themselves are poorly-edited and not properly cut.
- The HUD itself is extremely confusing. It doesn't help the fact that the text can be hard to read and that there are no indications about its' meanings (for example, the wave-like graphic beneath each character's name is actually their health and not the bars).
- The "Minotaur" character is a bait-and-switch- you actually play as a worm that erupts from the Minotaur's chest (the developers found the Minotaur too difficult to animate and made the worm character up on the spot without changing the portrait and description in the character select).
- The game fades to black every time the character Shadow Snake teleports.
- The game is essentially unwinnable as it crashes after beating the final boss.
- A hidden character also crashes the game when attempting to play as him.
- Even the developers themselves are now aware of how bad the game it is, as they released the game for free and even warned the players about glitches.
The Only Redeeming Quality
- The soundtrack is decent.