Arthur's Nightmare is a game based on the Arthur television series that was published by Varen Rush on June 11, 2018.
The main objective is to seek out ten "Woogles" and escape Arthur's family home over the course of four nights whilst avoiding being scared by Arthur, his little sister D.W. and their parents. The player is given a device with little power in the second night to track Arthur's whereabouts; However, the battery has limited energy. If the battery runs out, the player is left with no way of knowing Arthur's whereabouts, but has to continue searching regardless.
Why It Intentionally Sucks
NOTE: This game was meant as a joke, and was made intentionally to be bad.
- The Read family members have poor character designs, especially for a horror game. They look like official art that was edited in Microsoft Paint, ruining any fear that they might have created. When you lose, you can also see a white outline from what looks like somebody trying to make the images transparent. It would've been better if they had 3D Models instead of sprites.
- The game heavily relies on jumpscares to induce fear in players, which has been proven to be a baffling choice for horror games due to how overused it is.
- Poor incorporation of elements from the Arthur universe, as the characters don't even act like their counterparts from the show. You could replace them with generic demons or other characters and nothing of real importance would change.
- Repetitive gameplay, which is made worse by the fact that all of the Woogles are always in the same locations. The only difference through each night, aside from the detector's introduction, there is a new character that the player must avoid.
- Virtually nonexistent plot. The introduction is a big-lipped alligator moment solely consisting of someone posting a comment ranting on modern Arthur's Flash animation on an article reporting on the animation change. It is also never explained why the Read family wants you dead.
- D.W., Jane Read, and David Read are more annoying than challenging as threats.
- D.W. comes out of portals starting on Night 3, and if you stay in a room for too long, she kills you. And if you leave the room before she gets out, she will move to the next room and you have to restart the whole cycle again.
- Jane will follow you everywhere you go and floats through doors, walls, floors, and ceilings. She will also say "I asked you to clean your room before you went out to play" over and over. David behaves just like Arthur, but he only attacks you when you are in the kitchen.
- Baldi and Golden Freddy make appearances in the game, even though they have absolutely NOTHING to do with the Arthur series whatsoever.
- Arthur's voice sounds completely different in this game. When he jumpscares you, he will shout “HEY!” in the style of the show's intro, but when he says it, it's just bass-boosted.
The Only Redeeming Quality
- The ending, if you won, is pretty good.