Ao Oni is a role-playing horror video game, that was developed and published by noprops.
- All the characters are very surface level and aren't given much characterization besides their basic traits.
- There's a lot of unanswered questions such as "Why was the Ao Oni summoned?", "Why do people turn into Onis?", and etc.
- The game at one point shows a whole bunch of different kinds of Oni in a room, but doesn't do anything with them.
- The ending doesn't really make sense as it lacks context.
- Most of the time you do the same thing over and over, solve a puzzle, survive a chase, solve a puzzle, survive a chase.
- There's no real variety in enemies (aside from the BlockOni) as all the enemies are the same Oni with the only difference is having hair because they're suppose to be the characters who have turned into Onis.
- Very well thought out puzzles, even more so in older versions of the game.
- Good scares.
- The Oni designs are pretty creepy.
- The graphics aren't bad.
- Nice atmosphere.
The independently developed freeware game gained a cult status online in Japan, gaining notoriety on websites such as Niconico and YouTube where Ao Oni-related videos exceeded 50 million views in 2013. The popularity of the game revolves around the effectiveness of its horror aspects despite being a simple game, with the background music often being cited as a key contributor to the chilling atmosphere used to incite fear.