Afro Samurai 2: Revenge of Kuma
|This article needs cleanup to meet our rules and guidelines. You can help by.|
|Afro Samurai 2: Revenge of Kuma|
Afro Samurai 2: Revenge of Kuma (also known as Afro Samurai 2: Revenge of Kuma Vol. 1) is an action-adventure video game developed by Redacted Studios and published by Versus Evil. After the release of the first Afro Samurai game in 2009, former Bandai Namco senior producer David Robinson left the company, and founded Redacted Studios. Along with leaving Bandai Namco, he secured the rights to make other games in the series.
The plot of Afro Samurai 2 is about Kuma trying to fight Afro, the titular character of the anime series. Kuma following his defeat by Afro now seeks to challenge him for the Number One headband and take his revenge.
Why It Sucks
- Bad controls.
- You don't even play as Afro Samurai despite its title. You instead play as Kuma.
- Technical issues happen very often.
- Sound effects are painful to hear.
- Framerate drops and stutters frequently.
- Bland level design.
- Brain-dead A.I
- Camera Angles are very shaky.
- Despite it being in the Afro Samurai world, the story is unappealing.
- Lazily executed combat.
- A lot of low-resolution textures, even on strong PCs.
- Skill progression is often useless.
- The voice acting in the game is bad and none of the original cast returns.
- The game shows scenes that don't need to be shown, as they already occurred in the anime, and they show the same scenes multiple times throughout the game. This gets very annoying because you're being shown things you've already seen 5 or more times before in the same game.
- Bad cel-shaded graphics.
- You need a controller to play the game if you're playing on PC. Even then the controller mappings are bad.
- Lots of bad quick-time events and at least three of them are unnecessary.
- The game feels like an alpha or a beta version with lots of placeholder assets.
- There are nearly no new things. Almost all the assets including characters and enemies are taken from the original Afro Samurai game.
- At least the publishers owned up to the unacceptable quality of the game at launch. The publishers of the game deemed the game a failure and soon took actions to allow people who purchased the game to refund their purchased game. This is in stark contrast to the publishers of Raven's Cry who not only released the game in an unfinished state but kept the game on for a while, then removed the game and republished a fixed version on Steam called Vendetta: Curse of Raven's Cry in an attempt to escape the bad reviews on the original version of the game.
- Good soundtrack by RZA.
- Still-image cutscenes done by Takashi Okazaki, the creator of the manga.
The game received widely negative reviews from critics. Originally planned to be released in three volumes, Versus Evil removed Revenge of Kuma from all platforms, issued refunds, and canceled the other two volumes. The Xbox One version was never released.
DX put the game at second place on his top 15 WORST games of 2015 list. Interestingly, one of the game designers, Dylan Bruce, wrote a comment under the aforementioned video, explaining the production process.
The game was number 6 on Angry Joe's Top 10 Worst Games of 2015.
Eventually plans to make a third game were scrapped due to the negative reception.
- It is one of the games not being compatible with the PlayStation 5.