Rovio Entertainment (2016-present)
Rovio Entertainment is a Finnish video game company founded by Niklas Hed, Jarno Väkeväinen, and Kim Dikert at November 10, 2003. While their games are decent, they milk Angry Birds a lot. Their headquarters are located in Espoo, Finland.
Beginning after the first Angry Birds Movie was released and they continued to milk more of their Angry Birds franchise.
Why They Suck Now
Note: Most (or all) of the flaws are after the Angry Birds Movie duology.
- They are notorious for milking Angry Birds non-stop during the production of The Angry Birds Movie 2, to the point where some of the fans wish for Rovio to make a new franchise, if it meant that Angry Birds can finally rest in peace.
- They mainly focus on the main flock at the pre-film games by removing Stella’s flock’s playable status in Angry Birds Pop!, and only letting them appear as background characters.
- The post-film games of Angry Birds are worse. The reason is because they only focus on Red, Chuck, and Bomb as the main playable characters. It was justified in the film, give that the trio were the most popular ones at the time, but now it seems like they're treated as the only birds that matter. What's worse, they even decided to milk the hatchlings (including The Blues) as much as Red, Chuck and Bomb, if not more. This has gotten to the point where they appear in a lot of recent games, had a subplot in the second movie that served little to no purpose to the actual plot, has lots of merchandise made for them and more.
- They wanted to add more functions in Angry Birds Go! at the 2.0 era by adding blueprints, parts, and different types of karts to unlock different characters, which didn't get the critical acclaim they expected. It just sucked. Even people on Change.org are trying to make it happen!
- Unoriginal ideas at the Angry Birds games. Angry Birds Match? A redo of Nibblers, another one of Rovio’s games. Angry Birds Blast? A rip-off of Toy Blast and Toon Blast.
- The post-film games never allow Hal, Bubbles, or any members of Stella’s flock to be playable at all in the games that were officially released.
- Their shows are boring at times, and 4 of them (including the new series Angry Birds Maker Space) have Red, Chuck, Bomb as the main protagonists just like the post-film games, with Matilda, Jim, Jake and Jay relegated to background characters,
- They also rush their games to the point where they have little content to offer. For instance, their new game Angry Birds Explore didn't have as much content as they advertised.
- The game Angry Birds Evolution seems like an attempt at cashing in to games like Marvel: Future Fight, Power Rangers: Legacy Wars, and many other games like it.
- In fact, they milked Angry Birds to the point where it's literally a dead franchise.
- In mid 2019, they removed most of the old Angry Birds games, consisting of the original, Seasons, and Rio. To make matters worse, most of those games were critically acclaimed by fans. The worst part being that Rovio's "excuse" for removing these games were for "testing purposes".
- Whats even worse is that because of their habit of removing many of their good games, they've also removed their non-angry bird ips such as Amazing Alex, Tiny Thief, Retry, Sky Punks, and many more. Not only does this reveal their greedy practices, but it just tells the fans that Rovio, like Sega, has chosen to use their most popular IP as their cash cow.
- They did not even reinstate any of the games after the "testing" (some of their "testing" even prolonged), (except for Bad Piggies) despite the fans clamoring them to do so.
- After this, their statement on their website is simply that they do not want to keep updating their games to work on modern mobile devices what are you talking about there are games that haven't been updated in over 5 years that still work fine on new Android machines!
- Rovio has began doing Playrix’s practices like false advertising.
- Since around 2016, Rovio has replacing the title themes for their Angry Birds games with inferior remixes with no way to switch back to the original themes without modding the game.