Naughty Dog (2020-present)
Naughty Dog, LLC (formerly JAM Software, Inc.) is an American game development company based in Santa Monica, California. It was founded in 1984 by Andy Gavin and Jason Rubin in McLean, Virginia. They were acquired by Sony Computer Entertainment in 2001, becoming the subsidiary of SCE Worldwide Studios (currently PlayStation Studios). They are known for creating franchises such as Crash Bandicoot, Jak and Daxter, Uncharted, and The Last of Us.
Why They Became Naughty
- Lately, they haven't been able to take negative criticism very well.
- They mistreated their employees with the use of crunch time during development of Uncharted: The Lost Legacy and The Last of Us Part II.
- They filed fraudulent DMCA claims against critics who talked about The Last of Us Part II leaks.
- They caused Amy Hennig to depart from the company in 2018 (although many say she was fired), the same person that created the Uncharted franchise, most likely because she outlived her usefulness for Naughty Dog after the last chapter of the Uncharted storyline, The Lost Legacy.
- They have started to milk The Last of Us , as they announced a remake of the first game as The Last of Us Part I, despite the fact that the game is already fine the way it is even with a remaster for the PS4 and still holds up well to this day. Although this may have been Sony's doing given the cancellation of Days Gone 2.
- Naughty Dog seems to have turned away from cartoony games in general since they've seemingly abandoned the Jak and Daxter franchise. Apart from re-releases, there's been no new installment since 2009.
- Speaking of which, Jak and Daxter: The Lost Frontier was a very mediocre game. This is because Naughty Dog made the mistake of leaving development to High Impact Games. A decision they've since regretted.
- Jak 4 was reportedly in development, but cancelled in favor of The Last of Us.
- Neil Druckmann. Despite being talented (as he was the lead director of The Last of Us, along with Bruce Straley), he recently lost his edge in creating powerful narratives and heavy character development and now favors to shove in political correctness into their games like Uncharted 4: A Thief's End, Uncharted: The Lost Legacy and recently The Last of Us Part II (though the former two were still great games).
- He has even openly admitted to being a big fan of Anita Sarkeesian, which is just disgraceful.
- Not to mention, he's the one who caused the downfall of Naughty Dog, as he's the vice president of this very company.
- Before Neil Druckmann damaged their reputation, they were a pretty good company. They've made games that have allowed them to also be on the Awesome Games Wiki.
- While it doesn't look like The Last of Us will be very successful as a franchise, its first installment is amazing.
- It's also set to have a upcoming TV adaptation on HBO, with it expecting to be released in 2023.
- They've created some of Sony's most beloved and important franchises, such as Crash Bandicoot, Uncharted, and Jak and Daxter, the former being owned by Microsoft now.
- Nolan North discusses Amy Hennig's Uncharted 4 departure
- The Growing Future of The Last of Us: The announcement of the first game's remake.