Jump to navigation Jump to search
BioWare is a Canadian video game developer founded in 1995. They're best known for their Star Wars, Mass Effect and Dragon Age video games.
Why They Suck Now
- After they have been bought by EA, they became greedy and started to focus on microtransactions.
- They managed to kill the Mass Effect franchise by making the awful Mass Effect: Andromeda.
- Their recent game Anthem, isn’t good because it is a broken online game and players have to pay player subscription to play (which they stopped updating).
- They have a habit of releasing important parts of the storylines for their game as DLC, most notably with Mass Effect 3 and Dragon Age: Inquisition, thus forcing gamers to pay extra for stuff that should have been in the game to begin with.
- Their newer RPGs have attempted to get rid of the older "paragon" and "renegade" morality systems, but have replaced them with systems that end up making the dialogue choices feel largely irrelevant.
- Some of the developers are notable Social Justice Warriors, supporters of Anita Sarkeesian and many of them have a history of controversy:
- Jenifer Hepler, a writer, hated playing video games, even wanting games to have a "skip gameplay" button - even though the main point of a game is to... you know, play the game!
- Manveer Heir, a former developer, is a notable racist.
- One of the 3D animators stated that she hated all white people.
- David Crooks, a former programmer, mocked TotalBiscuit after he died from cancer. Casey Hudson had to apologize on the behalf of BioWare to the Bain family.
- Sam Maggs, a BioWare writer who also works for The Mary Sue, claimed that she was "virtually raped" on Grand Theft Auto V.
- An article by Jason Schreier recently exposed the atrocious work environment and development practises at the studio, as such in-office politics, unreasonable crunch time, feedback being ignored, games being cobbled together in the final 18-24 months of development, and anxiety and depression being so commonplace that it might as well be an epidemic! This is why Mass Effect: Andromeda and Anthem ended up in such half-assed states. The studio's response to said article was ill-conceived and cowardly in nature. It's worth noting that all of the issues highlighted in the article were present since Dragon Age: Inquisition first entered development.
- Like Rockstar Games, They and Nintendo do not have a good relationship, as they refused to make games on their consoles or handhelds, the only games were for the DS, MDK 2 for the WiiWare (Wii), and for the Wii U.
- Before EA in 2011 shattered BioWare’s reputation, .